Upstanding Young Adult Club Forums  

Go Back   Upstanding Young Adult Club Forums > The Main Forums > Project Club

User Tag List

Old 19-03-14, 06:30 AM   #1
Quatterarbro
Skateboard squats

PPD: 14.27
Threads: 810
Quatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoon
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Quattbus builds a pc [success]

So I decided to take your advice and will build a Pc. But this.means I need more.advice.

So what do I need?
Advice on parts etc.

I want 4tb of storage, I've heard 4tb drives are.unstable so I'd get 2x 2tb s.
I will do some gaming on it but.not super high end Fps games.

Also I've never built a Pc before, do you just chuck it all together then put in a windows disk, switch it on and it sets itself up?
Or is there.more.to it?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Quatterarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 06:36 AM   #2
sausage
Stupid Old Cunt

PPD: 7.67
Threads: 1077
sausage milleted all the pep
sausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pep
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

hahah this should be great

if you made this thread on pcpp the first 50 pages would arguing about motherboards alone

me; i like my books... and my spells.
sausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 06:37 AM   #3
mittens
I tried so hard And got so far

PPD: 10.73
Threads: 322
mittens's Team is: bombers
mittens found the cure for depression
mittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depression
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatterarbro View Post
So what do I need?
a computer
Quote:
Advice on parts etc.
macbook air
mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 07:35 AM   #4
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

PPD: 15.54
Threads: 840
koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart
koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)

don't think this really deserves to be called a project but alright
koolfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 07:59 AM   #5
Millethouse
Junior Mod

PPD: 16.73
Threads: 343
Millethouse's Team is: giants
Millethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best pone
Millethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best pone
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Are you actually building a PC or going to a place that sells parts and getting them to put it together?
Millethouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 08:03 AM   #6
Quatterarbro
Skateboard squats

Quatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by millet View Post
Are you actually building a PC or going to a place that sells parts and getting them to put it together?
Thinking of doing the whole thing. If I can

Old 19-03-14, 08:05 AM   #7
Millethouse
Junior Mod

Millethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best pone

I did it once but with a guy breathing over my shoulder correcting me every step of the way
Old 19-03-14, 08:05 AM   #8
Millethouse
Junior Mod

it was the biggest neckbeard moment of my life
Old 19-03-14, 08:06 AM   #9
sausage
Stupid Old Cunt

sausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pepsausage milleted all the pep

Quote:
I did it once but with a guy breathing over my shoulder correcting me every step of the way

this isnt the bum fucking megathread lmao

also

"once"
Old 19-03-14, 08:11 AM   #10
Millethouse
Junior Mod

SORRY NERD
Old 19-03-14, 08:23 AM   #11
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart
koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart

Quote:
what the fuck were you doing that needed correcting god you're shit
Old 19-03-14, 08:26 AM   #12
Millethouse
Junior Mod

Mate I had no idea what I was doing. I know jack shit about putting together a pc.

tapatapa
Old 19-03-14, 08:26 AM   #13
Millethouse
Junior Mod

Also deks lay.off the roids mate it's made you so aggressive

tapatapa
Old 19-03-14, 08:26 AM   #14
Millethouse
Junior Mod

It scares me

tapatapa
Old 19-03-14, 08:34 AM   #15
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

spending so much time with your new kid has babbified you mate

superglue my butt
Old 19-03-14, 08:34 AM   #16
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

Wait nah you were always like this nvm

superglue my butt
Old 19-03-14, 08:35 AM   #17
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

whoa my phone wanted to autocorrect nvm to nom

disgusting

superglue my butt
Old 19-03-14, 08:36 AM   #18
sausage
Stupid Old Cunt

as far as bitchslappings go this is pretty epic
Old 19-03-14, 08:38 AM   #19
Millethouse
Junior Mod

i admit i'm hopeless at pc hardware
Old 19-03-14, 08:40 AM   #20
sausage
Stupid Old Cunt

well then youve come to the right place
Old 19-03-14, 08:41 AM   #21
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

What's there to know? I just did it myself and googled shit if I needed to

but I'm sure enough in my abilities that I don't need greasy nerd insurance

superglue my butt
Old 19-03-14, 08:51 AM   #22
Millethouse
Junior Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
and googled shit if I needed to
this guy was my google. he was just a fat sweaty nerd
Old 19-03-14, 09:21 AM   #23
mittens
I tried so hard And got so far

PPD: 10.73
Threads: 322
mittens's Team is: bombers
mittens found the cure for depression
mittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depression
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

must admit, first time i built a pc when i was like 16 i forgot to put the little spacer things on the back of the mother board and as a result the motherboard was directly touching the case and the thing made an awful short circuity noise when i switched it on. realised what i'd done and went back and chucked them on. started fine after that.
mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 09:31 AM   #24
Vinny No-Post
事実は事実です。~~ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

Threads: 520
Vinny No-Post's Team is: lions
Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam
Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

every part comes with a little book that tells you how to join the legos together
Vinny No-Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 09:38 AM   #25
Dick Car Derby

PPD: 23.05
Threads: 1461
Dick Car Derby's Team is: eagles
Dick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcam
Dick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcam
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

I'm going to wait for florin

Tapaaaaa
Dick Car Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 12:13 PM   #26
Scorpio
Nic Nat

PPD: 5.25
Threads: 39
Scorpio's Team is: eagles
Scorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoon
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny No-Post View Post
every part comes with a little book that tells you how to join the legos together
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 12:15 PM   #27
sausage
Stupid Old Cunt

stick a graphics card up your ASS and hope for the best
Old 19-03-14, 01:14 PM   #28
Millethouse
Junior Mod

i tried that
Old 19-03-14, 01:26 PM   #29
Scorpio
Nic Nat

Scorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoonScorpio has the third spoon

Quote:
So I decided to take your advice and will build a Pc. But this.means I need more.advice.

So what do I need?
Advice on parts etc.

Also I've never built a Pc before, do you just chuck it all together then put in a windows disk, switch it on and it sets itself up?
Or is there.more.to it?

anyway, my two cents:

when it comes to motherboards, I've typically gone with ASUS - decent variety of configuration and they're well supported. Rarely had an issue

i've never heard of 4TB HDD instability, but two HDD's is just more convenient anyway. in my case I run my OS and some core software on the smaller, faster hybrid drive (you could consider an SSD here if you want to spend the money, but it's optional imo) and then I have a 2TB regular HDD for games, video and music files (also makes doing clean OS upgrades easier if you need to)

graphics cards, just check out: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html and choose one that fits your budget - you don't need to spend more than $250. e.g. a GTX 760 will be more than adequate for ~5 years

I also preference nVidida GeForce chipset cards because whilst they cost a little more than an equivalent AMD card, I've had only bad experiences with AMD cards having compatibility issues, crashing issues and driver corruption. AMD fanboys will counter this with "IT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME (except, it does, they are lying)" and "LAWL NVIDIA IS TOO PRICEY". zzzzz

power supply, make sure it's at least 600w (preferably 750w) and get a name brand like Corsair or Antec - don't be tempted by the value, unbranded chinese shit - build quality can be shocking (and system wrecking)

get at least 8GB of RAM because RAM is cheap

then buy or pirate a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8 (up to you) power the computer on, plonk the CD in the drive and let it install

*whilst windows can do most of the hardware driver installation for you, some components will need you to insert the CD that came with it once Windows is up and running, as they may not run properly or at all if Windows doesn't recognise them properly

Last edited by Scorpio; 19-03-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 19-03-14, 01:40 PM   #30
Quatterarbro
Skateboard squats

Quote:
Yeah ok but what if I forget parts!
Or how do I know what is compatible with what?
Old 19-03-14, 01:44 PM   #31
Scorpio
Nic Nat

Quote:
Quote:
just ask for clarification when you buy parts, most computer nerd store people know their shit

anyway, all the bits you need are:

CPU
motherboard
RAM
power supply
HDD(s)
Case

Optional:
DVD drive
keyboard
mouse
monitor

and when you ask for the bits, just say "I want a motherboard for this CPU", "I want 8GB RAM that is compatible with this motherboard"

power supplies and harddrives are fairly universal - cases are designed to be universal by nature as are peripherals
Old 19-03-14, 01:55 PM   #32
Quatterarbro
Skateboard squats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Quote:

So what do I need?
Advice on parts etc.

Or is there.more.to it?

anyway, my two cents:

when it comes to motherboards, I've typically gone with ASUS - decent variety of configuration and they're well supported. Rarely had an issue

i've never heard of 4TB HDD instability, but two HDD's is just more convenient anyway. in my case I run my OS and some core software on the smaller, faster hybrid drive (you could consider an SSD here if you want to spend the money, but it's optional imo) and then I have a 2TB regular HDD for games, video and music files (also makes doing clean OS upgrades easier if you need to)

graphics cards, just check out: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html and choose one that fits your budget - you don't need to spend more than $250. e.g. a GTX 760 will be more than adequate for ~5 years

I also preference nVidida GeForce chipset cards because whilst they cost a little more than an equivalent AMD card, I've had only bad experiences with AMD cards having compatibility issues, crashing issues and driver corruption. AMD fanboys will counter this with "IT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME (except, it does, they are lying)" and "LAWL NVIDIA IS TOO PRICEY". zzzzz

power supply, make sure it's at least 600w (preferably 750w) and get a name brand like Corsair or Antec - don't be tempted by the value, unbranded chinese shit - build quality can be shocking (and system wrecking)

then buy or pirate a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8 (up to you) power the computer on, plonk the CD in the drive and let it install

*whilst windows can do most of the hardware driver installation for you, some components will need you to insert the CD that came with it once Windows is up and running, as they may not run properly or at all if Windows doesn't recognise them properly

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
just ask for clarification when you buy parts, most computer nerd store people know their shit

CPU
motherboard
RAM
power supply
HDD(s)
Case

Optional:
DVD drive
keyboard
mouse
monitor

and when you ask for the bits, just say "I want a motherboard for this CPU", "I want 8GB RAM that is compatible with this motherboard"

power supplies and harddrives are fairly universal - cases are designed to be universal by nature as are peripherals

Ok, so parts.pdf

CPU Intel i3 4340 $178
motherboard - Asus H81M Plus $74
RAM 2x 4GB Kingston singles $47 $94 total
power supply Case has it
HDD(s) WD Red 2TB $134
Case Antek VSK400 $92
Video Card GTX 760 $309

Optional:
DVD drive $86
keyboard GOT
mouse GOT
monitor GOT

Windows 7 $109

Total $1,075
Old 19-03-14, 01:57 PM   #33
Quatterarbro
Skateboard squats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So what do I need?
Advice on parts etc.

Or is there.more.to it?

anyway, my two cents:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CPU
motherboard
RAM
power supply
HDD(s)
Case

Optional:
DVD drive
keyboard
mouse
monitor

Ok, so parts.pdf

CPU Intel i3 4340 $178
power supply Case has it
HDD(s) WD Red 2TB $134
Case Antek VSK400 $92
Video Card GTX 760 $309

Optional:
DVD drive $86
keyboard GOT
mouse GOT
monitor GOT

Windows 7 $109

Total $1,075
So how do I drop the price on this down? Anything I'm spending too much on?
http://www.dell.com/au/p/alienware-x...ienware-x51-r2

This guy is kind of of a comparison point
Old 19-03-14, 01:59 PM   #34
Dancel Pow
good kid maff city

PPD: 5.66
Threads: 83
Dancel Pow's Team is: blues
Dancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoonDancel Pow has the third spoon
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Well you're paying $50 more than you should for DVD drive for starters. Then just pirate win7

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Dancel Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 02:04 PM   #35
sausage
Stupid Old Cunt

lol i3
Old 19-03-14, 02:15 PM   #36
Scorpio
Nic Nat

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So what do I need?
Advice on parts etc.

Or is there.more.to it?

anyway, my two cents:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CPU
motherboard
RAM
power supply
HDD(s)
Case

Optional:
DVD drive
keyboard
mouse
monitor

Ok, so parts.pdf

CPU Intel i3 4340 $178
power supply Case has it
HDD(s) WD Red 2TB $134
Case Antek VSK400 $92
Video Card GTX 760 $309

Optional:
DVD drive $86
keyboard GOT
mouse GOT
monitor GOT

Windows 7 $109

Total $1,075
I'd go with an Intel i5 4440 - marginally more expensive, but much more flexible than the i3.

that motherboard is adequate, just keep in mind if you want usb 3.0 it only supports it from the rear

I'd go for the black model WD HDD - they run faster than the Reds. You could get one Red and one Black and put the stuff you want to load faster on the black and use the Red for mass storage

that case is passable (classed as a mid-tower I believe), though I personally prefer something larger as it could be a tight squeeze for the graphics card. But desk space might be a premium for you, I don't know - up to you.

Last edited by Scorpio; 19-03-14 at 02:25 PM.
Old 19-03-14, 02:25 PM   #37
Millethouse
Junior Mod

sounds like scorpio is building a pc itt
Old 19-03-14, 02:26 PM   #38
Scorpio
Nic Nat

the only fun part of computers is building them, after that they are boring
Old 19-03-14, 02:36 PM   #39
Vinny No-Post
事実は事実です。~~ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam
Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam

get an SSD, price has come way down and its the single best thing you can do to speed up your computer, particularly startup
Old 19-03-14, 02:37 PM   #40
Vinny No-Post
事実は事実です。~~ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

and check

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index...howtopic=13969

that list is kept up to date with a whole tonne of customisable builds in every price range and checked for compatibility

Tags
Quattbusqontentqorner, successful project, why not wilson's pc?, wilsons gf ate the whole thing