Go Back   Upstanding Young Adult Club Forums > The Main Forums > millet Club

User Tag List

Old 07-12-14, 05:23 PM   #1
bagsnake
bogsnake

PPD: 18.63
Threads: 2229
bagsnake's Team is: magpies
bagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugs
bagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugs
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who has a coffee machine?

I'm in the market, any recommendations
bagsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 05:25 PM   #2
Millethouse
Junior Mod

PPD: 16.73
Threads: 343
Millethouse's Team is: giants
Millethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best pone
Millethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best pone
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

depends on what you're after

if you're after quick and easy just get a nespresso or a delonghi one
Millethouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 05:57 PM   #3
mittens
I tried so hard And got so far

PPD: 10.73
Threads: 322
mittens's Team is: bombers
mittens found the cure for depression
mittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depression
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

you mean as in an espresso machine? if so, go a gaggia classic or a rancilio silvia. i lucked out and found a gaggia classic at the salvos for like $20 or something. should be able to get a second hand one off ebay for like $200 and up
mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 06:05 PM   #4
bagsnake
bogsnake

bagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugs
bagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugsbagsnake is the king of rub and tugs

I'm thinking more like ~$1000 range
Old 07-12-14, 06:18 PM   #5
mittens

mittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depressionmittens found the cure for depression

brand new both those machines are up around there
Old 07-12-14, 06:18 PM   #6
mittens

prob more like 7 or 8 hundred
Old 07-12-14, 06:26 PM   #7
mittens

oh btw, after you buy a grinder you'll be bang on that budget ftr. 7-8 for either of those machines 2-3 for a grinder
Old 07-12-14, 06:27 PM   #8
mittens

so 9-1.1k
Old 07-12-14, 06:28 PM   #9
mittens

if you wind up going the gaggia, i recommend buying the steam wand from the silvia if you're going to make a lot of milk drinks. you can straight swap them over and the silvia one is heaps better
Old 07-12-14, 06:33 PM   #10
bagsnake
bogsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittens View Post
if you wind up going the gaggia, i recommend buying the steam wand from the silvia if you're going to make a lot of milk drinks. you can straight swap them over and the silvia one is heaps better
yeah, cool

Drink mostly milk drinks
Old 07-12-14, 06:34 PM   #11
Dick Car Derby

PPD: 23.05
Threads: 1461
Dick Car Derby's Team is: eagles
Dick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcam
Dick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcam
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

Yeah i have a grinder and an espresso machine although my machine is just a cheapy sunbeam one for $300 or something
Dick Car Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 06:34 PM   #12
Dick Car Derby

Dick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcam
Dick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcamDick Car Derby should get a webcam

I don't like nespresso or any capsule machine for that matter
Old 07-12-14, 06:53 PM   #13
Millethouse
Junior Mod

PPD: 16.73
Threads: 343
Millethouse's Team is: giants
Millethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best pone
Millethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best poneMillethouse is the best pone
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

i have one of each. during the work week i just have a pod coffee, weekend i bust out the other machine
Millethouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 07:02 PM   #14
mittens

yeah i have a capsule machine as well. problem was, i was too cheap to dish out a decent amount for gear, so i got a $20 classic from the salvos and a hand crank burr grinder, which while being cheap is still good. but yeah, being a hand crank it's a bit of a pain. often times i just cbf so i pop a capsule in the capsule machine
Old 07-12-14, 07:04 PM   #15
Dick Car Derby

oh plus i only like milk heated up with a steam wand
Old 07-12-14, 07:05 PM   #16
Dick Car Derby

those milk jug whirlpool heating things are shit and microwave milk is shit
Old 07-12-14, 07:36 PM   #17
king of the fags
eheheeheehehehehe

PPD: 2.38
Threads: 223
king of the fags's Team is: power
king of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuck
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

yeah mate its called a fucken kettle and some nespresso ya PUSSY MAN UP ahahahahashdaoihsdqwehjiorwded
king of the fags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 07:36 PM   #18
king of the fags
eheheeheehehehehe

king of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuckking of the fags is down to fuck

srsly though no im sorry i dont
Old 07-12-14, 07:36 PM   #19
king of the fags
eheheeheehehehehe

i hope this helped
Old 07-12-14, 07:40 PM   #20
Quatterarbro
Skateboard squats

PPD: 14.27
Threads: 810
Quatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoonQuatterarbro has the third spoon
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

Cheap $350 one. Does the job
Quatterarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-14, 07:01 PM   #21
bagsnake
bogsnake

So I ignored Mitten's advice and got a good boxing day deal on a sunbeam

Old 27-12-14, 07:01 PM   #22
bagsnake
bogsnake

Done 3 so far.

1st one sucked
2nd was ok
3rd was decent but I still can't froth milk well
Old 27-12-14, 07:02 PM   #23
bagsnake
bogsnake

any tips on how to not have ground coffee everywhere? spend more time cleaning the fucker than using it
Old 27-12-14, 07:59 PM   #24
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

PPD: 15.55
Threads: 840
koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart
koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)

buy an aeropress

tapatoke
koolfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-14, 08:19 PM   #25
mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 铁屁股 View Post
Done 3 so far.

1st one sucked
2nd was ok
this is the problem you'll often encounter with the cheaper machines or machines from less reputable brands. well, i mean, at this stage it's prob your technique and learning to pull a shot properly which is the problem. but inconsistency is really the bugbear of the lesser machines.

they're simple machines, really. all the espresso machine needs to do is put water at a temperature of 90-96 degrees through a group head at a pressure of 8-10 bar. the cheaper machines tend to not have as fine tolerances, so the likelihood of achieving those criteria can fluctuate wildly between cups. the other big problem with them is cheaper materials. when i bought mine i did a project club on me opening it up and cleaning it all out. everything in there was good thick brass. which not only helps along the two criteria i listed, it improves longevity. cheaper machines tend to make worse and worse coffees the more you use them. ultimately this also leads them to a failure which renders them no longer usable sooner. plastic parts and pressure just don't tend to play well. that's why i had no qualms buying my gaggia second hand. where as i'd have been a lot more wary buying one of the lower model sunbeams or whatever second hand.

Last edited by mittens; 27-12-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 27-12-14, 08:26 PM   #26
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart
koolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cartkoolfang has exclusive access to TATs nacho cart

shoulda brought mittens to the coffee machine shop with you irs

tapatoke
Old 27-12-14, 08:27 PM   #27
mittens

Quote:
any tips on how to not have ground coffee everywhere? spend more time cleaning the fucker than using it
what are you doing to get coffee grounds everywhere? where is it coming from? if it's coming from the portafilter once you take it out the machine, you're doing a shoddy job of tamping the grounds
Old 27-12-14, 08:28 PM   #28
bagsnake
bogsnake

Quote:
Quote:
Done 3 so far.

1st one sucked
2nd was ok
this is the problem you'll often encounter with the cheaper machines or machines from less reputable brands. well, i mean, at this stage it's prob your technique and learning to pull a shot properly which is the problem. but inconsistency is really the bugbear of the lesser machines.

they're simple machines, really. all the espresso machine needs to do is put water at a temperature of 90-96 degrees through a group head at a pressure of 8-10 bar. the cheaper machines tend to not have as fine tolerances, so the likelihood of achieving those criteria can fluctuate wildly between cups. the other big problem with them is cheaper materials. when i bought mine i did a project club on me opening it up and cleaning it all out. everything in there was good thick brass. which not only helps along the two criteria i listed, it improves longevity. cheaper machines tend to make worse and worse coffees the more you use them. ultimately this also leads them to a failure which renders them no longer usable sooner. plastic parts and pressure just don't tend to play well. that's why i had no qualms buying my gaggia second hand. where as i'd have been a lot more wary buying one of the lower model sunbeams or whatever second hand.
I don't think it's as cheap and shit as you think, but time will tell.

My problem is more about playing with grind settings and figuring out the right amount of beans/how much to compress them. I'm pretty sure once I have that to a routine it will do well.

I have to learn how to steam milk properly too
Old 27-12-14, 08:29 PM   #29
mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolfang View Post
shoulda brought mittens to the coffee machine shop with you irs

tapatoke
i'm not saying irs is a sucker and bought a lemon, was just a general observation. i know nothing about the model irs got. i just did a lot of reading on the subject before i bought mine and the two i recommended are the two that are most often praised at that price point.
Old 27-12-14, 09:09 PM   #30
mittens

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Done 3 so far.

1st one sucked
2nd was ok

I don't think it's as cheap and shit as you think, but time will tell.

My problem is more about playing with grind settings and figuring out the right amount of beans/how much to compress them. I'm pretty sure once I have that to a routine it will do well.

I have to learn how to steam milk properly too
a proper consistent grind is absolutely pivotal. you'll never get a consistently good coffee unless your grinder is capable of producing uniform grounds every time. size is something you'll learn and dial in. uniformity is not. your machine either does it or it's shit.

with tamping, the old rule of thumb is 15kg of force. some people put the portafilter with the basket of grounds on a kitchen scale to get a feel for what 15kg of force is. you may also run into the problem of a single tamp with an undersized tamper lets grounds push up between the tamper and the basket, so you get this rim of uncompressed grounds around the top of the basket (which will fall out everywhere once you remove the portafilter from the machine). the way to deal with this is to do a really light tamp to start forming the puck, whack the edge of the portafilter against your kitchen counter or whatever to make that rim collapse on top of your puck, then do your ~15kg tamp.
Old 27-12-14, 09:12 PM   #31
mittens

for steaming, a thermometer helps, if you dont have one. easiest to go by the sound to get a good texture for things like lattes or whatever. just look up yt videos and try to copy them.
Old 27-12-14, 09:13 PM   #32
mittens

you can time your shots too btw, to get a sense of whether your grounds are too large or too fine
Old 27-12-14, 09:13 PM   #33
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

fuck me this all sounds like a lot of work

what are the benefits of a machine vs an aeropress?

tapatoke
Old 27-12-14, 09:14 PM   #34
bagsnake
bogsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolfang View Post
fuck me this all sounds like a lot of work

what are the benefits of a machine vs an aeropress?

tapatoke
milk steamer?
Old 27-12-14, 09:15 PM   #35
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

fair enough

I don't add milk

tapatoke
Old 27-12-14, 09:16 PM   #36
bagsnake
bogsnake

that's the best part m80
Old 27-12-14, 09:17 PM   #37
koolfang
HAY life eheheehehehee

I add butter + mct oil

basically the same thing

tapatoke
Old 27-12-14, 09:19 PM   #38
Vinny No-Post
事実は事実です。~~ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

PPD: 15.54
Threads: 520
Vinny No-Post's Team is: lions
Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam
Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

Sunbeam is shit m8. Should have listened to mittens.
Vinny No-Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-14, 09:20 PM   #39
Vinny No-Post
事実は事実です。~~ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

PPD: 15.54
Threads: 520
Vinny No-Post's Team is: lions
Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam
Vinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcamVinny No-Post should get a webcam
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

I've got an aeropress laying around somewhere
Vinny No-Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-14, 09:20 PM   #40
bagsnake
bogsnake

I figured mittens would support an aussie icon like sunbeam